I wrote Top Ten Ways to Write an Effective Real Estate Letter to distribute to online article directories and now am making it available on my own site.
It was a great way to have some fun while talking about a serious business building activity...writing letters.
And although it was written tongue in cheek it's truer of me than I care to
admit. If followed as written you'll become as good at writing letters as
the that guy willing to sell you a bundle of prewritten letters with
promises that they'll save you time while making money. I promise.
Imagine that...prewritten letters saving you time. The next thing you'll hear is that they can help you make money. So, if you're ready here we go.
1. Grab an aspirin and a glass of water. You're going to need it. Blank screens cause "white blindness" and generate temple throbbing headaches - easily a two aspirin headache as far a headaches go.
2. Fix a sandwich while you're in the kitchen getting a glass of water for the aspirin. You're going to be parked at your computer writing a letter for a while. Chances are you're going to get a little lunchy, so you might as well fix a snack before you get started.
3. Don't forget to turn on the tv before you settle in at your desk. That way you can avoid the distraction of having to get up later to turn it on. Plus, you're going to want...make that need... a small break after about an hour or so of writing, so you might as well set things up before you now.
4. Next, make sure that you have the tv remote near hand. Your favorite tv show will come on while you're writing that filler program, and you know you're not going to want get up and walk the six feet to the tv set to change the channel when it comes on.
5. Spend a few minutes getting your desk organized. Even though you're writing the letter on your computer the best way to start anything is with an organized work space. So, go ahead and organize your work area before you get started.
6. Actually, you're a little hungry now. So, you might as well eat that sandwich you fixed now so that you don't have to worry about accidentally putting your elbow in it. Wash it down with the glass of water that you got to take the aspirin with and take the dishes to the kitchen. Again, you want to make sure that your work space is uncrowded with unnecessary things like dishes.
7. Oops, you forgot to call "John, Mary, Sue...whoever...somebody." Whover it is you need to call them now. There's nothing as effective as breaking a letter writing groove than a 5 minute call that turns into a half hour. Call now and you can avoid an interruption later.
8. Okay, now it's time to get serious again. Go back to your computer and turn it. Open up a blank document next and you're finally ready to actually start writing.
9. Next, decide on what it is you want to say. Think hard...think real hard. You're a naturally gifted talker and can sell ice cream in a snowstorm, but can you write a good letter? Thoughts not flowing? Maybe you need another snack to get the creative juices flowing.
10. Ah what the heck. Letter writing isn't all that it's cracked up to be...it's just as easy to go online and buy some prewritten real estate letters. Then, spend a few minutes personalizing them with your personal information; name, address, phone number and that sort of thing and print and mail them. And oh, by the way...this is the tenth and final of the Top Ten Ways to Write An Effective Real Estate Letter.