Want to Increase the Value of Your Home? There are many practical and cost-effective ways to do it, from do-it-yourself ideas for smaller projects to hiring a contractor for larger jobs. You can give your home a facelift a little at a time or go all in with a significant renovation.
To most people, their home is their most significant investment, and they would like to keep it in prime condition. Although the current market conditions mainly determine the price of your home, there are several things you can do to maximize its value. Let's take a look at ten common ones!
1. Decorative moldings can be used throughout the home, interior to exterior, to trim doors, floors, walls, windows, fireplaces, and ceilings. These moldings can be found at practically all home improvement stores and are relatively easy to install to enhance the look of any room.
2. Kitchens are the most significant investment that many potential buyers consider. Replacing cabinets and countertops can be done gradually at your discretion, or you may choose a more creative way to improve the old ones by painting the cabinets and replacing the knobs or handles.
3. Vinyl windows are a great way to increase the value of any house. These windows function better than the old wooden windows by opening for easy cleaning, and they conserve more energy in the months when homeowners use heat or central air the most. They do not require painting and can make a house look beautiful.
4. Adding a new roof can make a powerful impression. The roof is the first thing people see, which can play a vital role in how much your house will sell. A new sturdy roof protects from leaks that make ugly stains on the ceilings in your home that can lead to more damage.
5. Installing vinyl siding, if you don't already have it, can add up to $10,000 to the value of your house. If you already have decent vinyl siding, you can hire a power washing company to clean the siding and give your home a fresh look.
6. Painting the interior or exterior of a house can transform a home entirely with a few coats of paint. You can be as colorful and creative as you like and take your time doing so, one room at a time.
7. Flooring makes a difference in any room. Whether you use linoleum, tiles, wood, or carpet, a new floor can make all the difference.
8. Adding new appliances such as a refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, washer, and dryer can significantly improve the value of your home, along with adding a new water heater, furnace, and central air unit.
9. Exterior landscaping can enhance a home's value by keeping a well-maintained yard by adding strategically placed flowers and shrubs. You can also plant an attractive garden or install a small fish pond. Deciding to install or replace a fence along your property line will also be a great attraction to potential buyers, especially the ones who have children.
10. Adding a new deck is an excellent asset to your home's exterior look. These can be made from a variety of wood and sealed to preserve the natural appearance. A new deck will provide the outside recreational area to grill out while relaxing on a comfortable patio set and enjoying the great outdoors and fresh air.
Adding value to your home can be as simple and affordable as you want it to be. Most improvements can be accomplished a little at a time, depending on your time and budget. You can make more minor modifications by adding potted plants along the stairs up to your freshly painted front door or adding a small table or work of art in your foyer.
A visit to the home improvement store or looking through magazines can spark creativity when remodeling your home. Even if you have no idea where to start, one spark can lead to another and another until, before you know it, you have created a beautiful home that you may never want to leave.
"Increasing The Value of Your Home doesn't always mean that you have to spend much money. I spent several hundred dollars and saw my property value increase by thousands."
Next: Curb Appeal
When Your House Does Not Sell - It can happen, even when you think you've done everything right to prepare your house for a quick sale.
Why Great Homes Do Not Sell - Even great homes can languish on the market for years. Fortunately, there are things you can do to mitigate that from happening.
Selling FSBO - Selling FSBO is not for the timid. It would be best to take action before putting your home on the market. Learn everything you can about selling a home, the "to dos" and the "things to avoid," and only then put it on the market.
Tag: Real Estate Articles